Curious about web advertising? Ever wonder how much money you could make by putting ads on your site? Well here’s a real quick breakdown of my experience with Google AdSense.
Firstly, placing ads on your website is insanely easy. You don’t need to be powerful or useful or even good. You simply get paid for the amount of traffic you get. Here are the steps:
1. Sign up for Google AdSense. Plugin your bank account so they can pay you without the need for costly checks. Soon, you’ll be approved and ready to shill.
2. Follow the “AdSense for Content” link to setup an ad unit. You can choose image ads, text ads, or both. I picked text ads. You are given code to place on your site, which looks like this:
3. Drop the code on your site. It’ll make you up a fine lookin’ ad.
That’s all. Wait, what? Three small steps and then I’m fabulously wealthy?
No. A couple things you should understand about web ads:
1. A viewed ad (or impression) is worth a fraction of a penny. A tiny fraction.
2. A clicked ad is worth more, but not much. Maybe a couple pennies.
All these numbers depend on your site (a popular site earns more), but generally speaking you need to have thousand of visitors a day to actually earn foldin’ money. I’ve had a webcomic for several years now, and it’s gotten over 50k pageviews, with less than a hundred click-throughs (CTR stands for click-through rate). I’ll let the numbers do the talking.
That’s right. 55,884 ad impressions + 83 clicks = $6.70. When it comes to advertising, traffic is king. The good news is that barriers to entry are virtually non-existent.